Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Trail that led me home . . . .

Today was my first solo book signing in my hometown of Albion, NY, at Bindings Bookstore.  It was a very small event, part of a downtown shopping day, but I was happy with turnout and my sales.  Anybody who missed it - the book is available at Bindings Bookstore, and, for all my friends who used to live in Albion but no longer do,I would encourage you to order it through their website to support a great local business in our hometown.

Today really made me think about how this project has led me back home.  I spent a good long time trying to stay away from my little hometown, and, though I don't live very far away, I would sometimes go a year or so at a time without visiting.  The people who came to my signing today were not family members, but nonetheless, have known me since birth.  Birth.  That's a long time.  There is not a single person in the city I live in now that I can say that about.  This book has brought me back and helped me to remember the importance of connections like that.

It has also helped me see what a vibrant little town I came from.  There really is a lot going on there and a lot of people working very hard to make it a better place to live, and they really are on the right path.

After going over a year without being there at all, because of this book, I have been there twice in two months.  And I can't help thinking that there's a message from my Grandma in that.  She would tell me something like "you should no forget where you came from".

It was good to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment