Thursday, October 3, 2013

On My Own Trail . . . .

Now that The Trail of the Gypsy Wagon has made it's way into paperback form, I have begun the task of spreading the word about this wonderful tale.  For an introduction into the world of book promotion, I was lucky enough to piggyback with my aunt, Marilyn Smith Neilans, at a recent signing at Bindings Bookstore in my hometown.  The book is currently available to for sale there, and you can find a link to their website to the right of where you are reading now.

The first event was a great tribute to my Grandma, full of old friends, teachers and family.  The memories of her were wonderful to share, and it was nice to hear fond recollections of her.  My favorite was from one gentleman with whom I was discussing how the Grandma that I knew growing up sounded so different from the "Peaches" in the story.  He was not surprised by the stories of her dancing with cowboys - he said "she always had a twinkle in her eye" that let you know there was more to the quiet woman we all knew.

October 19 marks my first "solo" signing, again at Bindings Bookstore in Albion.  October 19 is Albion Shopping Day, a day chosen by the local Chamber of Commerce to promote local businesses. I'm excited to be able to be a part of that day in my hometown, where my family was very much a part of the local business scene for many years.  I'll be there from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm.

My plan after that date is to begin to promote the book along the Trail that the "Jolly Dutchmen" took on their trips, hopefully placing the book in small, independent bookstores along the way.  As it becomes available in other stores, new links will be posted here.

This is an exciting journey for me so far, into an industry that is completely unknown to me.  I am looking forward to the learning experience this will bring, and to sharing this book with people near and far.

No comments:

Post a Comment